Ortiz undergoes 3rd surgery related to gunshot wound


One month has gone by since David Ortiz was shot in the Dominican Republic, and the former slugger underwent another surgery this week while remaining hospitalized due to his injuries.

"Earlier this week, David underwent a third surgery for complications resulting from his gunshot wound," Ortiz's wife, Tiffany, said in a statement released by the Boston Red Sox. "The operation was performed by Dr. David King at Massachusetts General Hospital. David is recovering well and in good spirits.

"We continue to be incredibly appreciative of the kindness and compassion shown to David and to our entire family during this difficult time."

Three weeks ago, Dominican police concluded that Ortiz was not the intended target of the June 9 shooting. According to police, Victor Hugo Gomez Vazquez, the mastermind behind the shooting, is accused of paying Alberto Miguel Rodriguez Mota a sum of $10,000 to shoot his cousin, Sixto David Fernandez, who is a friend of Ortiz and was with him that night. Rodriguez Mota has since been apprehended by police.

Less than one week after the shooting, Ortiz was said to be in stable condition and was moved to Massachusetts General Hospital. Shortly afterward, the 10-time All-Star moved out of the intensive care unit and has been recovering ever since.

Copyright © 2019 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.